With its melting pot of people and cultures, the South African arts arena is one that is extremely diverse. From traditional African dance to jazz, stand-up comedy, ballet and theatre. There is always a variety of excellent local productions on offer - which will leave you with a distinctly South African feel.
In order to see what's happening, where and when - consult the local newspapers, or contact Computicket (tel: 083 915 8000 or at most major shopping malls) for enquiries and bookings.
- Artscape Theatre Complex (City Centre) - large productions including ballet, opera and dance.
- Baxter Theatre Complex (Rondebosch) - contemporary theatre.
- On Broadway (Cape Town) - revues, cabaret and world-class drag.
- Maynardville Open-Air Theatre (Wynberg) - Shakespeare with a local twist.
- Spier Amphitheatre (Stellenbosch) - opera, musical concerts.
- Theatre on the Bay (Camps Bay) - upmarket contemporary theatre, including restaurant. www.theatreonthebay.co.za
For art of a different kind, visit the South African National Gallery in the Company's Gardens in the city centre for a display of local art from paintings to sculpture. The Gold of Africa museum in Strand Street showcases a large collection of gold artefacts and offers a working studio and gold boutique. There are various other art galleries with a selection of local work for sale - notably in Claremont, Kalk Bay and Hout Bay as well as the V&A Waterfront.